William Carey University is a community of learners that seeks to blend faith and learning with living. Embracing its Baptist heritage and namesake, William Carey University provides quality educational programs within a caring Christian academic community. Preparing students to fulfill diverse callings while challenging them to excel in scholarship, leadership, and service in a global society.
William Carey University offers Christian students an opportunity to enhance their academic studies and pursue various careers in a vibrant community bolstered by faith and advanced education. Offering an emphasis on superior education, learned leadership programs, and community service, William Carey University provides students with a holistic education ideal for living in the modern world. Its fully online degrees include their MBA, degrees in Education at various levels, an MS in Criminal Justice, and two Masters from the School of Music.
Faith-based community and focused learning
Rated #3 in Best Value for Southern Universities by U.S. News and World Report
SAT or ACT required
Online program still follows regular trimester schedule, which some may find inflexible
||Online learners seeking a quality Christian education
|Financial aid available
||FAFSA, PELL, scholarships
||Undergraduate, Master’s degrees, Specialist degrees, Doctoral degrees
|Number of majors/programs available
||Faith-focused education and community,Online programs,Academic excellence,High graduation rate
William Carey University began as Pearl River Boarding School back in 1892. So the school has certainly had its time to build a solid foundation for educational excellence. Today the online degree program are growing, and William Carey University offers a 100% online experience for those who are currently working or live far and want to study remotely. Remember though that William Carey University online programs still follow the regular trimester schedule. You will be required to hand in weekly assignments and participate in classes.
The main reason so many students prefer William Carey University is because of its strong commitment to faith-based learning that doesn’t come at the expense of quality education. Integrating faith and learning with a focus on service and community values, William Carey does a good job of providing Christian students with a safe, supportive, and understanding learning platform that doesn’t contradict their beliefs and lifestyle. Teaching alongside the motto of “Expect great things from God and attempt great things for God,” William Carey University accomplishes this goal effectively.
It’s also nice that William Carey University assigns distance learners with an academic advisor when you register. Your advisor can help you choose the right courses for your goals and answer questions as they come up.
Finally, William Carey University has an almost 75% graduation rate according to the College Scorecard.
William Carey University has federal and state grant opportunities including:
- Pell grant (begin at www.fafsa.gov)
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education grant (TEACH)
William Carey University offers a variety of majors, including business, education, psychology, and various arts and humanities. The online programs are a little bit more limited, but you can still get degrees in the following areas:
- Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)
- Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.) - Applied Behavioral Analysis
- Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.) - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.) - Elementary Education
- Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.) - Physical Education, Health & Recreation
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Physical Education
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) - Educational Leadership
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Mathematics
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Educational Leadership
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - English
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Gifted Education
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - History
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Interscholastic Athletic Administration
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Mild to Moderate Disabilities
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Teaching & Learning Globally
- Specialist in Education (Ed.S) - Educational Leadership
- Specialist in Education (Ed.S) - Interscholastic Athletic Administration
- Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) - Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
- Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) - Instructional Leadership
- Master of Music (M.M) - Church Music
- Master of Music Education (M.M.E.)
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Psychology
- Master of Science (MSCJ) - Criminal Justice - Non Thesis
- Master of Science (MSCJ) - Criminal Justice - Thesis
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Criminal Justice
Institutionally, William Carey University has accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. There are also specialized accreditations for various programs, including:
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
“My time at Carey has really helped me define who I am as an individual. Carey’s cordial environment along with great inspiring faculty and wonderful students allowed me to grow academically, socially, and spiritually. Even as an international student, I felt right at home. Carey was everything I hoped for and more.”
“I have t been here at Carey for two trimesters, but I already feel like I am a part of the Carey family. The home-like atmosphere here helped me to adapt easily even though I am an international student. The teachers and the staff members are wonderful and give you moral support in every step of your way. Carey teaches you everything you need to learn, not only academically, but spiritually as well.”
“What's up! My name is Branden Walker. I double-majored in Mass Communication and Intercultural Studies at William Carey University. In the fall of 2017, I worked in a meteorologist internship at our local television station, WDAM. At WDAM, I analyzed weather, chased storms, and broadcast with the green screen. I was at WDAM for three months. Pray for me, as I gather knowledge of everything that is, and will be, laid before me and that I continue to push on towards what God has called me to do!”
“I had a wonderful experience at WCU, and I am one of its biggest cheerleaders and recruiters! I waited many years to return to school to pursue my nursing Ph.D., and I found the administration, faculty, and staff supportive and always there to make my learning experience as positive as possible. Receiving my Ph.D. in 2014 was a personal goal of mine; however, professionally, I have had many additional doors opened, including becoming Dean of a School of Nursing in the state.”
“I am grateful for the skills that William Carey University taught me because they have helped me to excel in the professional workplace. I am also grateful for the Christian foundation that encourages ministering to a person's spiritual needs as well as their physical needs.”
William Carey University has loads of digital tools that are geared towards making the distance learning experience go off without a hitch. Things like Indigo Student Portal complete with a setup guide and other useful student guides that will help you get set up and connected are invaluable resources. There are also guides to help you use Canvas, WEPA accounts, and more.
William Carey University also has several how-to guides to help navigate some of the more technical aspects of registration, including email troubleshooting, registering for classes, and requesting a transcript. William Carey University also gives you access to the Microsoft Office365 download (and instructions on how to do it for non-tech savvy folks).
William Carey University also has an online library that you can use for research and studies. There are multiple research guides, popular reading selections, and even special collections like the Clarence Dickinson Collection and the Frances Winters Hymnology.
William Carey University has a lot to offer students who are looking for a quality higher learning experience. The faith-based approach makes Christians and non-Christians alike feel safe, understood, and accepted. And the advanced level of learning ensures that students walk away with a real education. William Carey University has plenty of resources, guides, and tools to help remote learning students succeed.